870 East Main Road (at Union Street)
mail: PO Box 834, Portsmouth RI 02871,
We are open! The Portsmouth Historical Society will be open every Sunday from 2 to 5 PM now through Columbus Day!
If you have a group that wants to tour the museum, please contact us and we can make special arrangements.
Click here to join the Portsmouth Historical Photo Club on Facebook!
Memberships are the life blood of our Society – We will lose our touch with our past without your support.
Although June has been Membership Renewal Month, we are gradually changing our member renewals so that they will occur annually on the anniversary of your joining the Society.
There are many resources for Portsmouth History. We have a dedicated web site to help point you towards those resources.
Visit our “Hub” to Portsmouth History at
What We Are All About
The Portsmouth Historical Society is a volunteer nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of Portsmouth, Rhode Island’s history.
Our long term vision is to protect and promote Portsmouth’s cultural heritage by creating a secure and sustainable facility, where, in conjunction with other local organizations, we can store, maintain and display our collection of historic artifacts, offer lectures and research assistance to the public, and stimulate the study of our town’s history for future generations. We strongly believe that the uniqueness of Portsmouth today is defined by our past.
The Society fulfills its mission by:
1. Maintaining and providing tours of the historical buildings in its possession:
a. The Christian Union Church (1865)
b. The Southermost School (1725)
c. The Old Town Hall (c. 1850) .
2. Collecting, conserving and interpreting historical documents and objects linked to historical sites, houses, farms, and families of Portsmouth.
3. Providing direction and resources to assist genealogical and scholarly research related to Portsmouth’s history.
4. Arranging exhibitions which use historical materials to enrich the public’s understanding and appreciation of Portsmouth’s rich history.
5. Presenting programs on topics that build enthusiasm for preserving and supporting our local history.