870 East Main Road (at Union Street)
mail: PO Box 834, Portsmouth RI 02871,
Our Museum indoor exhibits are closed until the COVID-19 Crisis subsides.
But, you can visit the grounds and experience our “virtual” visit by viewing placards around the grounds that can be linked by your Smart Phone. Come and have a picnic.
The museum will try to reopen as soon as possible. We will confirm and provide more visiting details as we get closer.
If you have a group that wants to tour the museum, please contact us and we can make special arrangements.
For a Video of the June 17, 2019 Annual Meeting, go to our Recent Videos page.
We need volunteers to keep our Society well!
Just a few hours or help on a particular project would help immensely.
Other skills that we need.
- Furniture repairing and refinishing
- General Handiwork on the Museum Building (like fixing a door or window).
- Computer skills (Help with Social Media, the web site, our PastPerfect database, YouTube, etc. all are areas where we need help)
Memberships are the life blood of our Society – We will lose our touch with our past without your support.
Although June has been Membership Renewal Month, we are gradually changing our member renewals so that they will occur annually on the anniversary of your joining the Society.
There are many resources for Portsmouth History. We have a dedicated web site to help point you towards those resources.
Visit our “Hub” to Portsmouth History at
Keep Up With What is Going on with the Society.
What We Are All About
The Portsmouth Historical Society is a volunteer nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of Portsmouth, Rhode Island’s history.
Our long term vision is to protect and promote Portsmouth’s cultural heritage by creating a secure and sustainable facility, where, in conjunction with other local organizations, we can store, maintain and display our collection of historic artifacts, offer lectures and research assistance to the public, and stimulate the study of our town’s history for future generations. We strongly believe that the uniqueness of Portsmouth today is defined by our past.
The Society fulfills its mission by:
1. Maintaining and providing tours of the historical buildings in its possession:
a. The Christian Union Church (1865)
b. The Southermost School (1725)
c. The Old Town Hall (c. 1850) .
2. Collecting, conserving and interpreting historical documents and objects linked to historical sites, houses, farms, and families of Portsmouth.
3. Providing direction and resources to assist genealogical and scholarly research related to Portsmouth’s history.
4. Arranging exhibitions which use historical materials to enrich the public’s understanding and appreciation of Portsmouth’s rich history.
5. Presenting programs on topics that build enthusiasm for preserving and supporting our local history.
The Board of Directors meets on the third Monday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Portsmouth Historical Society Museum (at the Portsmouth Free Public Library in the Winter).
Would you like to become a member? We welcome your help and support.
Committees -Please consider joining one of our Committees to help us out.
A SHORT TOUR OF THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY BUILDING
The Society had a Great Year in 2018 – See “2018 – The Year in Review”
PHS is Portsmouth Business Assn 2018 Business of the Year – See the Post.