Old Town Hall was built around 1840 as an office for the town clerk. It was located at the site of the present town hall. Today it serves as exhibit space it serves as exhibit space for our collection of farm tools and horse drawn vehicles.
In 1895, it was replaced by the present Town Hall. The building was then used for storage. Building became first headquarters of the permanent fire department.
In 1970, a new fire station was built and Old Town Hall used again for storage and meetings.
In 1975, The Town offered building to the Portsmouth Historical Society and the building was moved to its present location.
In 2019 The Old Town Hall got a “new” look with a new roof and new red cedar siding.