We do NOT provide individual genealogical research services, but we can provide some suggested links and steps for those researching ancestors from Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
If you are just starting to research your Portsmouth ancestors, Some Websites for Portsmouth Genealogical Research will provide you with helpful links.
1. The West Land Grant Maps are a great place to start. Start by clicking on the Surname Index to enlarge it. Note the map sections that go with the surname you are looking for and then click on the Section Maps listed to search for your ancestor’s land.
2. Portsmouth Town Hall has all vital records.
3. Portsmouth Free Public Library has a growing local history collection, materials on loan from the Rhode Island Genealogical Society and Microfilm of the Sakonnet Times.
4. Rhode Island Genealogical Society resources may be helpful, especially if your ancestor traveled to other parts of Rhode Island.
5. Once on the Rootsweb site, visit the “Newport County” section for maps and resources.
6. Rhode Island Cemeteries website will help you find the resources on cemeteries, but you will have to go to the Portsmouth Free Public Library to use the database. Click on this link – Family Cemeteries Map 2 – for a rough map of where family cemeteries are in Portsmouth.
7. There is an online version of the Early Records of the Town of Portsmouth. It is a wealth of information about the early town meetings, founding citizens and everyday life in early Portsmouth. Try typing this URL into your browser: https://archive.org/details/earlyrecordsofto02port