Subscribe to our mailing list to keep informed
Become a Docent
– If you like to meet people, we need your help to show visitors around the museum. No experience is necessary. We can quickly show you the ropes. E-mail our Docent Coordinator
Help Raise Funds and Write Grants
Help us with Planning. Offer just a few hours to help one of our Committees
Do you like to play detective at classifying and dating historic items? Contact our Curator by e-mailing PHSCurator@PortsmouthHistorical.org
Are you handy at fixing things?
- Install larger electrical service
- Rewire breakers to distribute outlet loading
- Procure/ Install better Climate control
- Liaison with NGRID for Natural Gas Conversion
- Maintain the current oil heating system
- We need a large (14 ft) ladder to install LED bulbs in Main meeting space chandeliers.
- Finish cleaning, removal, and storage of all books in boxes
- Re-distribute, store books on 3rd floor mezzanine
- Prep/Paint all library shelves
- Remove all schoolhouse and Town Hall window screens.
- Re-glaze museum windows
- Restore center top gable circular window
- Replace schoolhouse main door
- install railing a main spiral staircases
- Add walkways around museum and to schoolhouse
- Assess creating a walkway/step through existing stone wall on north side near schoolhouse
- Aerate and seed lawn
- Do some landscaping, maintain flower beds etc.
- Make first floor handicap accessible
- Assess second floor for handicap accessibility
- Re-side Town Hall
- Repair library ceiling