Portsmouth Business Association to Recognize the Portsmouth Historical Society as Their 2018 Business of the Year at the Annual Dinner Meeting
The Portsmouth Business Association (PBA) will hold its Annual Dinner Meeting at 5 PM on Wednesday June 20, 2018 at the Newport International Polo Pavilion on East Main Road in Portsmouth. Information is available at www.PortsmouthBiz.com.
At the meeting, the PBA will present its Business of the Year Award for 2018 to the Portsmouth Historical Society.
Portsmouth Business Association President and General Manager of Clements’ Marketplace, Michael Leverett, said, ” Although the Historical Society not a formal ‘business’, it is an active member of the PBA and has done any exceptional effort to attract both the community and visitors to stop any enjoy historic sites and businesses. It has added significantly to a positive business climate in the town and is very well deserving of the award.””
The Portsmouth Historical Society has worked together with the community to create a synergy that supports a business model that enables all businesses to grow together, building on each other’s strengths and becoming integral partners of the community.
The Portsmouth Historical Society,
- maintains the Town Museum that has a priceless collection of Portsmouth artifacts and documents, that includes the former Christian Union Church Building, the First One Room Schoolhouse, and the “Old Town Hall”.
- increased their membership ten-fold in the past 3 years from less than 75 members to over 600 (including over 300 family memberships))
- Introduced a Proclamation, approved by the Town Council, to formally designate March 7 of each year as Portsmouth Founders’ Day. During this celebration, they have coordinated with the State archives to have the original Town founding document, The Portsmouth Compact of 1638, brought to the Town each year for citizens to see.
- obtained grant in excess of $100,000 to preserve and protect the museum and the valuable and irreplaceable historic artifacts and documents of the town. This include an complete exterior and interior preservation of the building.
- worked with the Portsmouth 375th Committee to contract with the professional digitization company, “The Digital Ark”, to preserve many irreplaceable documents and make them available for the public to enjoy.
- with the use of volunteer docents, makes the museum open to visitors each weekend in the summer
- worked closely with the Town Planner to assist in documenting the condition of the many historic cemeteries of the town.
- hosted over 40 lectures by both Town Historian, Jim Garman, and other notable history experts.
- continued to develop several web sites to make important historic information readily available to the public.
- installed an ADA specified handicap ramp to the main museum to allow access to people with disabilities.
- coordinated a Christmas Concert by the Newport Navy Choristers that brought the community together on December 2017 with nearly 400 people attending.
The Portsmouth Historical Society has worked together with the community to create a synergy that supports a business model that enables all businesses to grow together, building on each other’s strengths and becoming integral partners of the community. By being a partner with the Portsmouth business community it has supported that growth of Portsmouth businesses by attracting visitors from all over the world.
The Society has the corporate support of the PBA and well as 0ver 20 businesses and organizations who are partners in ensure that the history of Portsmouth is preserved and protected. The Society Museum is an attraction for visitors who visit the town from out of state and create a venue for people just passing through to enjoy our hospitality and patronize our businesses.
The Portsmouth Historical Society has done an exceptional effort in advertising Portsmouth’s historic assets and preserving our historic heritage that has contributed to the community quality that makes Portsmouth a great place to live and work.
The Portsmouth Historical Society’s work and dedication has significantly contributed to the economic vitality, quality, and strength of the Portsmouth business community.