June 2016 News
1. Annual Meeting: The PHS Annual Meeting was held on20 June with 50 members attending.
2. Business meeting: A summary of the past year’s activities was given, noting a significant increase in our membership and a strong financial report. It was announced that the museum is open each Sunday from now to Columbus Day from 2-4 pm. All members were encouraged to visit the museum and bring your friends. We are still interested in getting more docents for the museum so that we can be open more often. Experience is not required.
3. By-laws: After limited discussion the new by-laws of the PHS were approved. They are available on the website for all to review.
4. Retiring members: Retiring Board members were thanked for their volunteer service and presented with certificates. Those honored were Karen Meyer, Nancy Lawton, Jill Kassis, and Marge Webster. Further, Carolyn Nelson was acknowledged for her great work as the Vice President for the past 14 years. She was presented with a copy of the Portsmouth Compact.
5. New members: New members of the Executive Committee were introduced and elected: Dave Duggan (re-upping), Nancy Crawford, Ann Burns, Dave Faucher and Gary Crosby.
6. Coming Events: 7 July, 5:30-7 pm-A rare viewing of Portsmouth’s 1776 copy of the Declaration of Independence and a lecture on William Ellery by local scholar John Parrillo. William Ellery was one RI’s two signers of the Declaration. Admission is free and the event will be held in the Town Council chambers at the Town Hall. 22 July: As this will be the 425th anniversary of Anne Hutchinson’s birth, there will be a celebration in several locations, including Portsmouth. The Founding Mothers Celebration will be a three-state celebration. On 22 July we anticipate having a ceremony and a picnic at Founders’ Brook from 10-12, a related art exhibit and a talk at the Library (12:30-2) and a wine-tasting at Greenvale Vineyards from 2:30-4. The local events are in cooperation with the local Friends of Anne Hutchinson. More details are available at www.FoundingMothersCelebration.org. Many other activities are scheduled and we continue to seek volunteers to help with some of the events of the Portsmouth Historical Society. Click on the Membership page of our website (www.portsmouthhistorical.org) and click on the “Can You Help?” link to see how you can assist the PHS move forward on celebrating the very rich history of our town. Experience is NOT required, just enthusiasm for understanding Portsmouth’s unique history.
7. Historical Society decals. Now available for our members are PHS decals. The decal, suitable for windshields, glass doors or windows, is now available free to PHS members. Stop by the museum on Sundays from 2-4 and pick up one. This is an easy way to show your support for our Society. Please join us for our events and also please help us recruit new members. We want to grow and be even more visible to the community. We need your help in doing this. Thanks.
Jim Garman President