Historical Society Events of 2018
- Jim Garman lecture on Island Park at the Common Fence Point Community Center
- Christian McBurney lecture on Battle of Rhode Island at the Portsmouth Library
- Annual Founders’ Day Celebration and Viewing of the 1638 Portsmouth Compact and Jim Garman historical remarks at Portsmouth Town Hall
- Portsmouth School Trivia Contest at the Gulfstream Grille
- Adult History Trivia contest at the Valley Inn
- Portsmouth History Book Club – “American Jezebel” at the Portsmouth Library
- Jim Garman lecture – “Portsmouth – a Hundred Years Ago” at the Common Fence Point Community Center
- Society opens to visitors
- Member Open House at the Society Museum
- Portsmouth Community Theater Production of “Murder at the Coal Mines” at the Common Fence Point Community Center
- Portsmouth History Book Club – “The Civil Wars of Julia Ward Howe“, at the Society Museum
- Melville School student visit
- Society Annual meeting
- PBA Annual Meeting honoring PHS as “Business of the Year”: Jim Garman Lecture – “Portsmouth Businesses a Hundred Years Ago” at the Polo Grounds
- Commemoration of LT Col Barton’s successful nighttime raid to capture General Prescott in 1777. An experienced group of East Bay sea kayakers traced the sea route from Warwick Neck to an Aquidneck Island landing at Weaver Cove.
- Lecture on Anne Hutchinson by Fred Zilian – Society Museum.
- Christian McBurney lecture on Battle of Rhode Island at the Society Museum
- Portsmouth UK Lord Mayor Reception at Society Museum
- History Book Club at the Library – “Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938” by R.A. Scotti
- Historical Society Harvest Social hosted by Greenvale Vineyards
- 30 September – “Celebrating Portsmouth Women”, 2-4 PM at the Society Museum
- 22 October – History Book Club at the library. “King Philip’s War” by Michael Tourgias and Eric B. Schultz
- 23 October – Remembrance ceremony at the Society Museum for the 1983 Beirut Marine Barracks bombing.